Side note: How cliche is "Authentic New York Pizza"? What makes it authentic? A distant relative was born in Brooklyn? The guy at the counter has an accent that clearly isn't Charlotte-local? We should lobby the USDA to have an "Authentic New York" labeling on restaurants, much like the same process for Organic certification. Certified Organic and Authentic New York? I'm definitely giving my business to that place.
Unlike my last review, Tony's is truly a pizzeria. Slices (or pies) are ordered at the counter. They also offer your basic selection of Italian dishes and sandwiches, but the packed lunch crowd here clearly preferred to go with slices -- my kind of place. The options are limited -- either Plain Cheese ($2.85) or Pepperoni ($2.99) -- so I ordered one of each.
The Verdict:
The Plain Cheese Slice: Clearly Tony's defines "Authentic New York" as large slices because their pizza is HUGE! One slice would've been sufficient for my lunch and I had trouble finishing the second. Cheese and sauce were tasty, but I was surprised that the crust quickly became hard -- almost stale. I love a well done slice, but not when it starts to taste like cardboard. 3.75/5
Toppings: While many more are available for pizza pies, Tony's only offers two options for toppings on slices: Plain or Pepperoni. The pepperoni was of very good quality and had a noticeable spice to it. Its a nice touch when you can stand out on something so common. 3.5/5
Value: No slice was over $3, making it easy on any budget -- especially with the large portions. At only a 14 cent difference, you're better off just going with Pepperoni slices. I passed on their Lunch Special, which advertised a slice, a drink and choice of side salad or garlic knots for $6.75. I'll just stick with my two slices for the cheaper cost. 4/5
Overall: A very good slice overall. A few things to fix (staleness, etc.) but this place clearly has the fundamentals down of what makes a great pizza. For having to manage multiple locations, Tony's seems to get the pizzeria business right: no frills, just good (and tasty) portions at a fair price. If I were to pass a Tony's on an empty stomach, I would have no problem with stopping by again. 3.75/5
Of course..... this is just the opinion of one humble blogger, what do YOU think of Tony's Pizza? Please leave a comment below and thanks for reading!
Tony's Pizza
| 1605 Galleria Blvd # 130, Charlotte - 14027 Conlan Circle, Charlotte -
|


No comments:
Post a Comment